What's better than receiving homemade snacks for Christmas gifts?! Giving homemade snacks as gifts of course! This one's a no-brainer. Minimal time and effort, maximum flavor! Reminds me of a Cadbury fruit and nut bar, but healthified and definitely tastier. Make sure to use good quality dark chocolate, which will contain less sugar. Better yet, buy 100% unsweetened chocolate and sweeten yourself with your preferred sweetener (I suggest stevia or Lakanto). This will make it even Reboot-friendly. I gift it often and it is always a hit!
- 12 ozs Dark Organic Chocolate *if needing dairy free, ask for it at a health food store
- 1/2 cup Cherries *tart, dried (unglazed)
- 1/2 cup Almonds *roasted, chopped in half
- 1 tbsp Instant Espresso Powder or finely ground coffee
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Coarse Sea Salt *don't skip this, it enhances the flavor!
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Break chocolate into chunks and melt in double boiler (I use a heat proof dish which fits over a pot with boiling water). Stir constantly as it melts.
Set aside about 1 tbsp each of the almonds and cherries as toppers. Add remaining ingredients to the melted chocolate and stir to mix in.
Spread chocolate mixture on baking sheet and sprinkle the almonds and cherries you set aside on top. Chill in fridge for about 30 minutes, until firm. Cut or break into pieces of desired size. Best stored in fridge.
(Recipe adapted from Alive Magazine, December 2014).