Tired of the same old green salads? This recipe should be called the Super Simple Summer Salad! Grilled eggplant, sun-dried (or fresh) tomatoes, fresh basil, red onion, arugula and olive oil = mediterranean magic! I was transported back to my travels in Italy and Greece. Make it today (and devour it tomorrow, as it requires an overnight to really develop the flavour).
- - 1 large eggplant sliced into 1" thick pieces
- - 4 ounces sun dried tomatoes in olive oil
- - ¼ cup fresh basil leaves chopped
- - 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- - 4 cups arugula washed and spun dry
- - ¼ red onion sliced thinly
- Preheat grill and cook eggplant 10-15 minutes flipping every few minutes and keeping a close eye to prevent charring (will be on the crisp side).
- Remove eggplant and let sit until cool enough to handle.
- Place tomato (if using sun-dried; if using fresh, wait until right before serving to add), basil and oil in food processor.
- Whiz until coarsely chopped.
- Place in glass or ceramic bowl and stir eggplant in and cover tightly.
- Chill overnight; remove from refrigerator 10 - 15 minutes before serving on top of arugula, with onion on top of that as a starter or add your favorite protein to create a full meal.
Recipe credit: www.paleoista.com
*Not suitable for those avoiding nightshades.